Thursday, December 22, 2005

Not Even Nervous

Tomorrow, I am going in for a job interview. What is interesting about this is that I am interning at this agency in this very role for my graduate degree. My intern is only 16 hours a week, so I would have to step it up a bit with a 40 hour work week. Plus, I would have two classes to attend to in addition, two children to take care of, a 50 mile one-way commute, and a weekly schedule of homework from hell as I wrap my grad program up.

I wonder if I am up to juggling again. I reached my burn limit last time when too many balls were in the air. Then again, some of those balls were on fire and gave me no choice but to let them go. That was when....I had a life, but my job ate it.

I actually really like my placement. Social work is a field I never knew I wanted, but flourish naturally in. Clinical social work is something I actually like to do. Maybe it is because I enjoy using my interpersonal communication skills. That micro practice of one-to-one contact or small groups is were I thrive.

When I look back over my life, I see all of the curves and obstacles in my path that I endured while trying to find my place. Just in my academic field, I traveled through engineering, nursing, education, community health and Indian studies before finding social work. But somehow, my employment life knew that helping people was where I needed to be. From working at a homeless shelter, a women's center, providing child care, being an assistant health director and teacher, an Early Head Start home visitor and classroom teacher to putting in time in children services, I have learn my role as a social helper.

I like that I am also still evolving. I know I will continue to learn and grow. What I do today, will not be what I am doing in 5 years or even 10 years. I will continue to up my game and take those next steps. I like new things so change is not a problem for me. My life continues its roller coaster ride and I enjoy every second.

As for tomorrow, I will continue to not be nervous. If it is meant to be, I will know soon enough that I will be filling in my schedule with forty hours. If not, I will enjoy the 16 hours a week I do and will walk away in May with a smile.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

What a great positive outlook!!! good luck!!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home