Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Word Junkie Confession

I am a word junkie. I love learning new words. I especially love the big ones that are diffcult to pronounce. I go online daily to Merriam-Webster's site for their Word of the Day. Sometimes, I have to listen to the pronounciation of the word several times to be able to say it correctly. I don't mind one bit. I actually find much joy in the challenge. I try to use these words in my school papers and in my blog as practice. If I can use the word everyday for a week, I feel happy. If I can incorporate it into my normal vocabulary, then I feel damn special. It is my own personal challenge....my own personal word game.

Today, it was all about two new words....

I had a brief discussion with a classmate yesterday during our class break. I was given a copy of a guide to visiting Las Vegas by another student and was reading a review of a restaurant/lounge. It describes it as being cacophonous. I had never heard of the word cacophonous and neither did the other graduate students sitting around me. I knew I would have to look it up at home and shared my love for big words with my classmate. She proceeded to tell me how she felt that people who like to use large words that other people didn't understand were stuck up and snobby.

Wow.

I am not stuck up or snubby at all. I just like words. Too bad her nescience of an expanded vocabulary and lack of comprehension of large words like cacophonous stimulate her to make inaccurate judgment calls. We are students by the way, so learning should be our forte.

I believe nescience isn't bliss afterall especially when trying to get your scrabble or boggle game on. It is then that my vocabulary knowledge is my guiding light to victory.

BTW, I am always ready for a challenge to exercise my letter tiles or my lettered dice. I got the games. Wanna play?

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

pooh! It's not stuck up to use big words! It is fun!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home