Friday, February 18, 2005

Crayons

I remember back a long time ago when I got a new box of crayons. They were really big jumbo crayons for kids just learning to hold a pencil. They came in eight basic colors...red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown and black. I was so happy when I got that box of crayons. I couldn't wait until I could draw beautiful lines everywhere I went. Drawing circles was my favorite. I put them everywhere. Much to the dismay of my mother, I added circles around the house, on the walls and on the furniture. I had those wonderful crayons removed from me on a few occasions when she felt my artwork must be stopped. Yes, I faced censorship at such a young age, but somehow always managed to get the crayons back in my possession.

I use to get upset because my black crayon was always missing. I thought it was strange that my grandmother would keep it in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I found out later that she felt her thinning eyebrows needed that crayon more than me. At least I knew where to go if I needed it.

As I got older, I would go with my mother to shop for school supplies in the fall. I remember that first time I found out that crayons came in bigger boxes with more colors. There were boxes of 8, 16, 24, 48 and 64 crayons and they were not the chubby ones I had at home. I was so amazed! I desperately wanted the box of 64, especially because it had a built-in sharpener. I remember shedding tears that day in the store. My school only wanted us to have the basic box of eight. I couldn't believe how cruel the world was to limit me from lavender, salmon, maize, and silver. I know it took some time, but I eventually managed to talk someone in my family into buying me the big box before the school said I could have it. I remember taking it into class and showing my friends. They all wanted to hold and color with my crayons. They begged me to sharpen any crayon even their own. I enjoyed sharing that moment of fascination as we tried sounding out the name on each crayon. The commotion this caused did not make the teacher smile. Instead, the crayons were placed in my bookbag to be sent home with a note reminding my mother to send a box of eight with me and keep the other at home. I guess the positive view was knowing that my friends were now informed about this supersized box. That night, everyone planned to ask for the big box. Some of them were lucky and got the big box too. Others could only dream about when that day would come for them. As for me, I continued to enjoy all of my options.

It is amazing that 26 years later, I still enjoy coloring. Now, I limit it to coloring on paper only. The color choices have expanded too. Crayola makes 120 colors now including inch worm, jazzberry jam, mango tango and wild blue yonder. They have even started retiring colors. Not surprisingly, they still sell those chubby 8 packs for the little ones. I still prefer the biggest box because I like having lots of choices. And nowadays, I don't worry about going to the bathroom to find the missing black crayon. It is always in the box now. But everytime I use it, I think about my grandmother and how important crayons were to her too.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home