Sunday, November 28, 2004

Morals

Last night, I read the editorial section in the local newspaper. Often you will find letters from people debating various topics from land rights to fishing rights to abortion rights. I am open to reading the differing opinions. This time, one article in particular bothered me. It was written by a local pastor about being moral. I could not help myself and went straight to my favorite website....Merriam-Webster....online dictionary.

5 entries found for moral.
moral[1,adjective]moral[2,noun]moral hazardmoral philosophyZorrilla y Moral

Main Entry: 1mor·al
Pronunciation: 'mor-&l, 'mär-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin moralis, from mor-, mos custom
1 a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ETHICAL
b : expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior
c : conforming to a standard of right behavior
d : sanctioned by or operative on one's conscience or ethical judgment
e : capable of right and wrong action
2 : probable though not proved : VIRTUAL
3 : having the effects of such on the mind, confidence, or will

According to m-w.com, moral implies conformity to established sanctioned codes or accepted notions of right and wrong. My question is who's codes or notions????

Conformity is a word I do not like or agree with. It lacks independence and individuality and reminds me too much of assimilation. I do not want to conform. I just want to be me. In reality, I know I have. I love Martha Stewart and her organizational ideas. I work and go to school to take care of my family and improve our lives. I vote. I don't litter. I seek my own version of the American Dream. I seek middle-class and a happy life far beyond what we have existed in. This is my choice. This is what I seek to achieve....a home of our own. Somewhere along the way, I learned this is what I needed to do and this is where I needed to go. The great thing about my dream is that I chose it....it is mine. Although others may share it, my dream has been personalized to my own choices and my own likes. It has flairs of my personality and my non-conforming ways. It is just me.

Being that I like to make my own choices, it brings us back to the question of who's codes or notions when determining morality????

Is it the legal determination of what we can do and can not do that defines if an act is moral? What about religion? How often does religion affect the affairs of the State. Are they not suppose to be kept separate? And exactly what religion is ok to be place upon all of us equally in regards to morality?

As a Native American, I struggle with the use of religion in determining morality. After many decades of attempting to eliminate the history and religious practices of Native Americans, Congress passed a resolution on August 11, 1978 to protect and preserve their religious cultural rights and practices. So, in the Land of the Free, my grandmother did not have the freedom to practice her own religious beliefs until she was 48 years old.

Back to morality, if it is determined by law, who makes the laws??? In a society that is run by majority rules, I really don't feel comfortable with that idea either, especially because I will never make a majority box in my life. My own destiny was predetermined with independent and different in the description. I am ok with being me. I am just not ok when you determine me and I am seeing the many yous easily outnumber the mes.

Maybe morality needs to remain neutral. It should not take sides and should not judge or box people. Can we really have morals that remain free from bias from one side? Can we withhold our own personal agendas and find this neutrality? I don't know. In the end, I am still just trying to be me.


Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home