Monday, September 04, 2006

Crikey Steve Irwin!

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "

-Steve Irwin

I just learned that Steven Irwin passed on. He was killed by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary by the Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas. As many of his fans and supporters know, he leaves behind not only his legacy at the Australia Zoo, but his wife, Terri and their children, 8 year old Bindi Sue and 2 year old Bob.

I loved watching "The Crocodile Hunter" on Animal Planet. I believe it was his easy-going personality and the passion he showed toward the animals. Although he looked at every animal with enthusiasm and childlike fascination, he spoke with knowledge and respect. I connected with him even if through the television. I loved his passion for the animals, especially his beloved crocs. Steve inspired me to watch and learn more about animals. Eventually, his passion reflected in my own passion.

I remember when Terri joined Steve. He looked as if his life was complete. He had his crocodiles, his zoo and now his wife, but that changed as Bindi Sue came. And then eventually, with Bob's arrival, you would think Steve would finally settle down. But not the Crocodile Hunter. There were still animals to care for, causes to be supported and animal education needed to be spread. And that was what Steve Irwin did. He lived his life the way he believed he needed to. He wore what he wanted to wear and spoke how he felt. Steve was who he was. Although he died in the process of living life the way he wanted, most likely, Steve would have it no other way.

I send my deepest condolences to the Irwin family and the Australia Zoo staff. Steve will always be a part of us and may he memory live on to inspire another generation to love crocodiles like he did.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

4 Comments:

Blogger B.R.L said...

I also send my condolences to the Irin family.
I watched him on TV. As I read your blog I could hear and see him in my head.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

I wasn't that into him, but it is sad that he died. My fiance was a big fan, and he did have a passion for what he did.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lovely tribute :o)

3:28 AM  
Blogger Tulabell said...

I feel sorry for his family too, but in Steve's eyes, I'm sure he thought, "No better way to go than living your passion mate!" My dad loved him...bet they are conversing in heaven as we speak!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home