Sunday, October 09, 2005

Jack Frost is Mean!

I like to garden. I remember liking it when I was young. I would try to grow strawberries in the back yard. I didn't really have a clue as to what I was actually doing. I just read the directions and tried to do what I thought they said. With all the warning signs that come on things nowadays, the strawberry seed packet came with none. I had no clue that there would be several "issues" that would arise in my strawberry endeavor. Maybe an experienced gardner would be in the know, but for a 9 year old, I was left relying on the directions of the seed packet.

Pesticide was never mentioned. I don't think I really knew what pesticide was then. I knew of bug spray for the creepers that got into the house and I knew you had to wash bug spray off the fruit from the store. I never knew that I might need it in my little backyard garden. I did....really bad.

Ants are not my friends. I found out that they love strawberries. They especially liked strawberries that grow in my little garden. I also learned that if you kill an ant, several of his friends will come and retrieve the body and explore what their friend had found. Soon, one ant turn into several hundred ants. My twelve little plants were overwhelmed. In one night, all the fruit, which were still white, were attacked and mutilated. I didn't know what to do. After spending several days fighting a losing battle, I let Mother Nature have the garden.

The next year, I tried again. I loved strawberries so much that I felt they were worth the effort. I planted and then waited. Once again, the ants came. And once again, I tried to deflect them. I came up with new ideas, but still to no avail. Finally, I was about to give up. I went outside to dig up my plants. Sorry, if I can't have them, neither will the ants. Surprisingly, it had rained that morning and the plants were clear of any invaders. I inspected my green friends and found three strawberries starting to turn red. They had no damage from the creepers and were looking to be my pride and joy. I had my hope restored.

The next day, I went outside early. I wanted to inspect my berries. I was counting down to picking time and feeling so excited. I remember bending over in the garden and moving back the leaf to see the fruit. There it was. A big luscious strawberry shining bright ripened red. I smiled as I reached for it. Then I stopped. It couldn't be, but it was. There was an ant on my strawberry. I flicked the creeper off and picked the berry anyways. It only got worse. On the other side of the berry was a hole with three ants in it. Yuck! That was it. I tossed the strawberry down and let Mother Nature know the garden was her's now. I walked in the house and asked my mom to buy me some strawberries. Later that night, I enjoyed strawberry shortcake with strawberries fresh from wherever. I didn't care at that point as long as they were clean and tasty.

I quit gardening after that. Maybe if I had a clue about pesticides, I would have hung in there longer. But in the end, I found out that if you are getting no joy from it, maybe you shouldn't do it.

I started gardening a few years ago. I do it in my windows since apartment living does not afford me the outside yard space. I've usually had a good batch of veggies grow in my windows. Strawberries never make it, but the other guys usually get big and give alot of yummies off. One year, I had to make the trek back to Ohio and took my garden with me in the car. They actually made the ride and I ended up leaving them at my mom's for her enjoyment.

This year I started late. I spent so much time in Ohio, that I couldn't plant til late in the season. I thought that would be ok since the plants are indoor and sheltered from most things, especially ants. I was wrong.

Jack Frost is Mean! I mean it too. He is just a sneaky sourpuss. He maybe an elf with lots of creativity. And, I like Legolas and other elves a whole bunch. But, Jack is on the @#$% List this year. My beautiful garden was doing so good. It was thriving and healthy. I had many veggies sprouting numerous flowers. Even my children were excited about them. Then, one night not long ago, Mr. Frost decided to sneak into town. I knew frost was coming, but was told it was a few days away. Yeah, right! In my own foolish thinking, I left the window open for fresh air. That night he crept in and blanketed my green babies. When I awoke in the morning, I felt the coldness in my house. I went to the windows and suddenly my heart sank. They were dead. I spent several days trying to revive them, but it was a total loss. Everything is shriveled and dead.

Although I am sad about the loss Jack Frost caused, I do not feel defeated like I did so long ago. I am actually looking forward to next year and all of the beautiful green babies I will grow again. I know the peace I find in gardening will return as it did this year and bring me calm and happiness again. For now, I am on a break..........just like Ross said.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home