Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Lavender Lilacs

Once grew lavender lilacs
By a stream where my summers flew
On wings of a dragonfly.

Once we walked 'neath the tall oak trees
Caressed by a summer breeze
So warm in a cloudless sky

Lavender lilacs withered and died
Now all that I lack
Is my dream walking by my side

Now cold winds spread the silver drifts
Of snow over barren branches
Under a cold, gray sky

New buds of lilacs wait for the spring
Hope in my heart can endure
All the pain that winter brings

Some bright lavender springtime
We'll walk in a new day
In my lavender lilac dreams

I don't remember when I started admiring lilacs. Although I have always been a color blue person, I really like the light purple color of the lilacs. I think it began when I was really young. I remember walking to school for kindergarten. During the long hike to school, I would pass by an old gray house that had two lilac bushes in the front. I remember the frangrant smell that filled my nose as I marched past. Sometimes, when my mother would let me roam the neighborhood alone, I would walk back to that house with the two bushes and pick a few bunches. I never brought the flowers inside because there were always a bug or two crawling on them. What I would do was lay them on the outside of my windowsill. At night when I would open the window for cool air, their calming aroma would fill my room. I still remember the handful of times lilacs rocked me to an aromatic sleep. What bliss!

I never knew until tonight that there was a Lilac Festival. In 1888, George Ellwanger and Patrick Barry, owners of the world's largest nursery, bestowed 20 initial acres that would become the 155 acre Highland Park to the community of Rochester, New York. It's beauty with trees and shrubs became the first municipal arboretum in the United States. The park started with 20 varieties lilacs in 1892 which has grown to more than 500 varieties of lilacs and more than 1,200 lilac bushes on 22 acres at Highland Park. The city of Rochester has held a Lilac Festival every May since 1898 when the first festival attracted 3,000 visitors. Since then, more than 500,000 people visit Rochester for that purpose.

Although this year's festival has come and gone, there is always next year. Maybe after graduation in May, I could mosey over to Ohio for a visit. Just maybe, I could persuade my BFOE into a 3 hour roadtrip to smell the flowers. What do you say Kel?

If you are interested here are the Lilac Festival dates through 2010:

May 12-21, 2006
May 11-20, 2007
May 9-18, 2008
May 8-17, 2009
May 14-23, 2010


BTW, a little shout out for Ryan....for giving me lilacs without knowing their meaning to me. Mucho gracias!


Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I figured it out! Finally!

So speaking of lilacs, these remind me of your purple fetish purse. I love that purse. This was a great poem, very feathery and smooth.

P.S. Ryan is cute. LOL

1:30 AM  
Blogger MzAriez said...

The poem was written by a guy named Spyder.

We gotta get a picture of him up here.

Thanks!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home