Monday, September 19, 2005

Helping Hand

When I was 4 years old, I use to spend most of my days with my grandmother. My mom worked alot, but that was okay because I was grandma's favorite. She worked for Community Action back then as a cook. She would go to a local church and cook meals for the elderly. I always liked going with her.

After our morning trip to her friend's bar for breakfast, we headed to the church. Grandma and another woman would fix the meals as me and Mrs. Denoble would set up the table and chairs. She taught me how to set a table and welcome our guests graciously. Sometimes, I would bring my organ and play music while they ate lunch. Sadly, those poor people heard Silent Night over and over since it was the only song I had memorized. Give me a break now, I was only 4.

I just remember how nice my grandma was to each person who came. I knew how lucky they were to have such a great cook like my grandma make their lunch. I was that lucky too.

A few years later when she no longer worked there, I remember going with her to the Salvation Army for lunch. I didm't realize until we got there that we would be helping fix the meal. Although she was on a limited income, she still tried to help others in need. I always remember that about her.

I always have had that belief that I was obligated to help others since my grandma engraved it into me. When I graduated from high school, I began volunteering at a homeless shelter. I did that off and on for seven years. I was a Head Start Parent Volunteer for three years while my children were little. I also did alot of work at my community college trying to improve student life. When I graduated, I was honored with the Distinguished Student Service Award for my commitment above and beyond my duty. When I moved on to my four-year college, I continued to be active on campus serving on various committees and councils. Of my many activities, I was grateful to serve as a mentor to other students encouraging them to stay in school. In my first internship for my Masters, I worked in Child Protection at a county agency. I learned first-hand how frail many families and children are in the area of mental health. Now in my second internship, I continue to work in the clinical area of children's mental health. I pray that I can have a positive affect upon those I come in contact with. Although I know I can not save the world, but just maybe I can improve a little of it.

I brought you all through that to tell you about a friend of mine. Let's call him Ed. Ed is a nice guy. We had a talk the other day about helping others. I know he will help a friend out, but I was asking him about beyond that realm. I wanted to know if he did anything for people he did not know. He said he donated a dollar to St. Jude's when he bought a paper balloon at a local store. He stated he had never been to St. Jude's or knew anybody that went there. I said it was a start. I asked him about recent events and if he offered any support. He said no, not yet. I asked him when and he said someday. Then, he proceeded to quiz me about my offerings. I admitted my guilt. When my birthday came near this year and I knew I could, I adopted three soldiers in Iraq. I learned about it on cnn.com regarding the anysoldier.com campaign. I told him for the Katrina victims I donated money at Kmart because I knew that they were matching donations up to a certain amount to the Red Cross. Plus, any friend or neighbor who needs a hot meal only need but knock on my door. My last dollar is your's if you really need it. I know I am blessed and I know my obligation to others. Ed got real quiet at that point. Finally he spoke up and asked me what I wanted him to do. Feel I said. I want you to feel what is happening around you and to the people in the world. Being part of the human race is a two way street and it comes with an obligation although many do not heed it. I reminded him about my white bracelet from One.org that rallies Americans to fight global AIDS and extreme poverty. Ed was quiet again. I told him if he could do something to improve the world than he should do it. I did he said. I neutered my dog last year after I realized he could jump the fence in the backyard. I looked at Ed who was now smiling pretty big at his major contribution. Thank you Ed I said. Bob Barker would be so proud. That's one small step for man....and one giant leap for Ed.

BTW, help is still needed with the recovery for our southern states. Please help the Red Cross provide services and necessities for those in need by donating.







Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home