Thursday, April 14, 2005

No Vacancy

I learned a couple weeks ago that another family member received news that cancer was cohabitating within her body. I guess this freeloader decided to expand his house and send some family members out in the community to find new residences. This news was disheartening at least and yet motivating at most. In all my sadness, I decided I needed to work with my own council and establish some bans to refrain these freeloaders from visiting me. Because of the strong likelihood due to my wonderful DNA blueprints some of my bans would have loopholes, but all I could do was try my best. I am surprised that it is really making changes in me.

It is amazing what motivates people to alter their lives. For some, it is a story or a picture. Others need that life or death experience to wake up. Maybe you just woke up and wanted change. Or was it that silly New Year's pledge that you made at the last minute while drinking too much anything? It could be the friend or family member that diminishes in front of you to force you to acknowledge your own mortality. Whatever the reason, you know you have to do something and the sooner the better.

I love my family very much. They have been supportive of me as I ride the roller coaster of life. In return, I do the same. In good times and in tragedy, we have remained bonded as grandma always wanted. Over recent years, many members of the family have dealt with freeloaders of various sorts and lost their cases in medical court. Quicker than comfort level, I see the generations exiting the ride earlier and earlier. I know something is wrong here.

My mind races when I look in the mirror. Although I see myself looking back at me, I also see the potential for freeloaders. I am my own enemy. My DNA says it all. The doctor need not say anything. "At Risk" flashes through my mind in bright neon lights like the warning signs on a roadway that blare words of immediate danger. I know something must be done.

My children walk in my room. They want to go play with their friends. I am happy to send them outside to enjoy the warm weather of spring. As they leave, I picture their faces in my mind. "At Risk" plasters their foreheads and contaminated DNA flows through their body. What have I done? I never thought of medical history when I was falling in love with their father. I never wondered why his grandmother died so early. I was infected with warm fuzzies and never considered his families health problems or even mine.

It is too late now. The battle is for today and tomorrow and not yesterday. Somehow, those fallen before me and those enduring the battle now have reached within me and sounded the alarm. I am awake, alert and ready for action. The deed of today and the plans for tomorrow have been placed in active duty. I will try my best to keep the freeloaders away and maintain the homeostasis that my liable DNA needs. I will teach the children the same as I have learned, passing something new down through the generations. They will know the odds and the tips for beating them. They will know early without needing that extreme motivation. It is the least I can do.

As for today, I will share my love and follow my plan. I will remain hopeful even from far away. I will enrich my life each day and continue to enjoy beauty from every rainbow, great story and good friend. Even smiles and bright eyes will remind me of this love and happiness within my spirit. And when the freeloader tries to come visit me, "No Vacancy" is all he'll see.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home