Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I Realized

I went to the clinic with my son today. I knew it would not be a normal day since the tragedy of yesterday. I watched the news spread across the world as our small town was flashed across the screen. Upon our arrival, we saw the news crews everywhere including a helicopter flying around the hospital in giant circles. Sadness was everywhere too as families and friends came and went from the hospital. My son tried to understand as I explained, but overall was confused. It made no sense to him that such a tragedy could occur in Red Lake. Why was a child killing other children or even his own family? His concrete thinking was unable to grasp it. But as I thought about it and it was hard for me too.

I understand the importance of our children's well-being. As a graduate intern in child protection, I see the children who have experienced horrible pasts, face difficult futures and all while just trying to survive the present. I realize everyday how important my work with children will be when I graduate and even the little steps I make as an intern. We have experienced a vicissitude that should serve as our alarm clock. Can we now wake up as it resonants blazingly? Will society once again hit the snooze button as band-aids are applied and then budgets are cut? Somewhere in our society, we have become desensitized to indigence and our rally for a better life is coming up short.

My training has taught me the strengths perspective practice method. It is a positive approach empowering people with strategies that are based upon their strengths and needs to promote resiliency. I have found this approach can be very effective and have seen the eyes of people light up when the things they can do are acknowledged and suggested. If we only had that magic mirror to empower us every morning, can you picture what the world would be like?

I wonder if we do push for resiliency, are we supporting desensitization? They say a healthy child is a resilient child, but it that true? Does asking a child to repeatedly adjust or recover from episodes in life desensitize him to tragedies or behaviors? Are we setting our children up to have mental health issues in the future? If children are our future, should we not be more careful about what we instill in them? Does our sense of community only mean something during tragedies and sporting events? As people, we need to ask ourselves these questions and many others.

I believe that band-aids are for treating minor cuts and scrapes. I never remember reading that they were for national tragedies or personal losses. Our society must accept the extensive work needed to repair our family and community well-being. It needs to be comprehensive and all-inclusive. It will not happen overnight. It will not happen tomorrow. It needs to address all of our generations and may take many generations to weave into society. The good news is that it is possible. What leader will say they do not want healthy families and communities under their watch? It will take a push and a few shoves to start and we may actually need a few band-aids for the cuts and scrapes along the way, but still, it can happen.

For now, my head keeps thinking. I am still trying to explain today. Maybe if we do something concrete like my son's thinking, there won't be a "today" for someone else.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home