Saturday, March 26, 2005

Martha, Martha, Martha

I don't know what it was. Was it the simply directions, the beautiful animals, or just how neat and tidy everything was? It was something, something Martha.

I believed it started in 1999. I liked watching HGTV and FoodTV. Martha's show would come on throughout the day and one day it caught my eye. So, I watched it and became enamored by the simplicity of her domestication. In Martha's world, everything had it's place and usually lined up symetrically. I became instantly hooked. I wanted the clean house and the sense of order. I wanted to make beautiful creations and host dinner parties. I wanted fluffy dogs and cats, including the colorful chickens laying pretty eggs. For a moment, I really wanted that life.
It took me a second to leave the fantasy and open my eyes to my reality.

My life is nothing like her's. I am a single parent just trying to raise my children to be happy and achieve their life goals. I don't have a farm, just an apartment with a fish only pet restriction. I live in a small town with limited resources and even more fewer shopping options. Then, I began to wonder. How could I have pieces of that dream in my life? I don't need the whole shebang, just the guidance to ease myself to a happy space.

According to Martha, she just wanted to "have had a profound effect on the way people live, the way they cook, and the way they entertain and garden" and that is her reward for her work. Well, I hope she knows that she has on made a lasting impression with me. I saw her make marshmallows on Oprah and I've never been the same since.

I am glad for the lessons she has taught and the recipes she has shared. She has inspired me to be a better parent, a better entertainer and a better person. With her magazines and products in my life, I have opened the door to new experiences. Some are functional in my little space. Some can make your mouth water when the aroma floods the kitchen. Some need some tweaking to personalize it to my own tastes. Overall, my family has benefitted from the Martha contribution.

When Martha spoke to her company, she said they needed to explain why they do the things they do since they had been great at explaining the how to. She is right. You need to know your why. And for me, it is the sharing of these joyous creations with those I care about. It is the meal I cook for the neighbors, the crafts I do with my kids and the smile I share when my garden grows.

So now in 2005, I continue to read and watch Martha. I continue to learn and experiment with her lessons. I still feel and share that joy. So, if it ain't broke.......you know.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then you thought that you would never see Martha AKA "M. Diddy" rapping with "P.DIDDY." I thought that was cool. But I also liked Tyra's show of today too.

Keeping it low from the Jake in the Tarus. So to not see more of us. I know that's not totally how it went but I added a little more to it.

J

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home