Friday, January 13, 2006

I caught da Tater

Last night, I took my daughter to see Ron White perform his stand-up routine. She was pretty excited to see one of her favorite comedians. I was looking forward to it too.

While we waited for the show to begin, we wondered if he had all new material or if we were seeing the Tater Salad routine. Happily, he gave us a whole new earful and managed all the hecklers really well. Ron did talk about how "f#%&ing cold" it is here which every comedian does. He teased about Minnesotans claiming it was warm this winter.

He had just flew from Atlanta, Georgia and 70 degree weather to Walker, Minnesota and 25 degree weather. So he was definitely dealing with weather shock. Just a quick note....we should be more like 25 degrees below zero, but Mother Nature is having hot flashes this year.

Ron had his cigar and his bottle of Johnny Walker Black on hand throughout his show. He relit and refilled throughout the night. My daughter asked me if it was apple juice. I told her to look at his eyes. We are talking really glassy and bloodshot.


We were seated in the second rowand cetered to the microphone so we could actually see the color and condition of his eyes really well. He was definitely drinking the real shebang. They set up him up with his ashtray, ice and his bottle front and center. But anyhow, he was able to put on one helluva show. Ron doesn't miss a beat and kept the flowing going for the entire 1 1/2 set. He is an excellent storyteller and weave together tales of Sluggo, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall, his wife, his mother, and various people he has observed on the plane. By the way, Jeff said "hi."

One thing I really liked about his show was his respect for the Tribe. Sometimes, his comedy genre can be negative towards Native Americans and other minorities. Not Ron in particular, but some "redneck" humor in general. I appreciate Ron's respect. We have enough racism in this area as it is. I did hear a few people a couple rows behind me say a few negative things, but overall it went well.

Well if you happen to get lucky and have Ron roll through your area, my daughter and I recommend attending his show. We had a good time and look forward to his return next year.

Stay sweet 'n smile.....................Mz.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour guys, check out www.RedneckGear.com

9:27 PM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

sounds like fun! I only hear of these guys from the stuff they sell at the convenient store. My one friend was aphalled I didn't know Larry The Cable Guy...and called me when he was on Comedy Central one night. I'll admit, he was funny! Now, I'll have to watch out for this guy, he's popping up at the stores with buttons and pens etc...

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home