Monday, March 03, 2003

The other day I was thinking about the word accountability. Here's what the dictionary said:

Main Entry: ac·count·abil·i·ty
Pronunciation: &-"kaun-t&-'bi-l&-tE
Function: noun
Date: 1794
: the quality or state of being accountable; especially : an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions

I remember I once had a conversation with my God-Mother. She had taken me to church with her and explained the process of being "saved" to me. After her explanation, she told me that I would now be accountable for what I now knew. That I would be held responsibile for upholding these new obligations simply based upon the reason that she had discussed it with me, left me feeling overwhelmed and burdened. She looked me right in the eye and told me I was accountable. All I could say was ok.

Now that I am older and hopefully a little wiser, I understand accountability a little more deeply. I know that knowing causes an expectation. Expectations can be good or bad, just like what you know can be good or bad. Although, it may be hard, we all have to be accountable. So, I take it one day at a time, trying my best to do right and contribute my gifts to society and smiling about the things I do know. Also, I am thankful for having a mind to realize this. A good mind is always a good thing when you need it.

Stay sweet 'n smile...................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home