Friday, February 28, 2003

I found this on the m-w.com website under the word of the day section. I always enjoy this site and particularly this section. I guess I like learning new things. So, here's what I saw:

scintillate • \SIN-tuh-layt\ • (verb)
1 : to emit sparks : spark
*2 : to emit quick flashes as if throwing off sparks: sparkle
3 : to throw off as a spark or as sparkling flashes

Example sentence:
The critics loved David's performance in the new play, declaring that he took a rather mundane script and made it scintillate with wit and excitement.

Did you know?
The history of "scintillate" began with Latin "scintilla," which means "spark." "Scintilla" in turn sparked the development of the verb "scintillare," meaning "to sparkle." "Scintillate" is the English version of "scintillare." Though it sometimes means literally "to sparkle," it more often means "to sparkle" in a figurative sense—that is, to be lively, or to perform brilliantly. "Scintillate" is not the only word we get from "scintilla." There is also "scintilla" itself (used as a noun meaning "a little bit"), "scintillant" (an adjective describing something that scintillates), and "scintillation" (which, among other things, means "a brilliant outburst").

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.


If you know me at all, you know that I like shiny sparkling things. I am not just talking about diamonds either. Mylar balloons, stain glass, and rhinestones are just a few things I like due to their sparkleness. I love glitter and the twinkle effect it has.when you look at it. It is that same twinkle you can see in a person's eye when they have reached that moment of scintillating. Those are the moments that can make a person's day. Those are the ones I like best.

Stay sweet ''n smile.................................Mz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home